Position Purpose / Expected Results:
Emma Willard School seeks an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher to work in the Language Department as a full-time Chinese instructor to join our energetic and collaborative team for the 2020-2021 school year teaching Chinese I-IV. The incumbent will teach across multiple levels and will collaborate regularly with other teachers of all levels. They will be responsible for co-curricular activities (e.g. coaching, after school physical education, advising a student activity group, etc.) that fill the needs of the school and, ideally, intersect with the interest or expertise of the instructor. The instructor will participate in the active review and creation of scope and sequence for the Chinese language courses. The Language faculty use a variety of tools and techniques to create confident language users and learners. Instructors encourage educated risk-taking using the target language, and facilitate exploration and enjoyment of the cultural components related to language learning. Dedication to the holistic wellness of students is essential, as is ability and comfort in frequent communication with students’ advisors and parents.
We seek someone who is committed to and willing to navigate today’s changing and diverse landscape. This individual will help the school promote and nurture diversity, equity, and inclusion. The School encourages candidates from under-represented groups and individuals who have demonstrated experience with diverse populations who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their teaching, and/or service to apply.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Create daily lesson plans
- Create and administer appropriate assessments as consistent with departmental philosophy and practice
- Grade assessments and offer substantive feedback within a timely manner
- Keep accurate records of assignments, attendance, and grades on a learning management system online
- Compose student comments quarterly or as assigned
- Provide individual support to students as needed
- Communicate with students’ advisors, parents, and/or houseparents as appropriate
- Participate in school-wide functions and events
- Attend and contribute to departmental, faculty, and faculty and staff meetings
- Participate in weekend duty four times per year
- Lead co-curricular activities
- Be a positive force in the lives of students
Minimum Requirements / Qualifications / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chinese or related field., advanced degree in Chinese or in education preferred
- Three years of Chinese-teaching experience
- Demonstrate excellence in course design, planning, and implementation
- Have a strong desire to contribute to a collaborative course-level team
- Have a good working knowledge of Google, Microsoft Word, comfort with online learning-management systems, and enthusiasm for experimenting with learning technologies
- Be skilled at fostering students’ independent Chinese speaking, reading and writing skills through an engaging and active class environment
- Have patience, enthusiasm, and the ability to manage priorities and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional growth and development
- Demonstrate superior judgment
The incumbent may be on their feet, sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Preferred Qualifications Advanced degree in Chinese or in education preferred
- Ability to teach multiple languages
- Knowledge and experience of how to teach language online
Emma Willard School is committed to being an inclusive community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
We seek to identify, recruit, and develop employees who bring a diversity of experiences, perspectives, talents, and backgrounds. We offer competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package in a stimulating and dynamic academic community.